
Last week, we had the opportunity to play pioneers with our kids. (Our power was shut off due to a misunderstanding with the power company) I knew that we'd be fine, but I didnt know what I was going to do with the kids while Jared was at work late that night.
Jared and I both explained to the kids that we were going to be pioneers and that we wouldn't have any lights, any tv, any video games, any computers. We couldn't open the fridge or the freezer (unless really quickly and only then Mom and Dad were the ones to do it.)
The kids were excited about the candles that we pulled out and how that would be our only light source. I let them play outside longer than usual, and then we read stories and they fell asleep. I read a book by candlelight and it was so peaceful in our home. Jared came home earlier than I expected and we were able to visit and just talk.... instead of having the TV on or having to check emails or whatever. It was wonderful.
The interesting part came when I had to be at a Dr's appointment at 9am. In the morning, my hair was all over the place when I realized that Jared had bought a while back a cigarette lighter adapter that had outlets on it. Abby and I got up and left the house early and drove around while the curling iron heated so we could both do our hair. :) Good thing for modern conveniences even during our pioneer times.
The kids were quite disappointed to learn that we were done playing pioneers that night. It was a good, humbling experience and but I'm glad that I live in these days when we do have power. :)
Jared and I both explained to the kids that we were going to be pioneers and that we wouldn't have any lights, any tv, any video games, any computers. We couldn't open the fridge or the freezer (unless really quickly and only then Mom and Dad were the ones to do it.)
The kids were excited about the candles that we pulled out and how that would be our only light source. I let them play outside longer than usual, and then we read stories and they fell asleep. I read a book by candlelight and it was so peaceful in our home. Jared came home earlier than I expected and we were able to visit and just talk.... instead of having the TV on or having to check emails or whatever. It was wonderful.
The interesting part came when I had to be at a Dr's appointment at 9am. In the morning, my hair was all over the place when I realized that Jared had bought a while back a cigarette lighter adapter that had outlets on it. Abby and I got up and left the house early and drove around while the curling iron heated so we could both do our hair. :) Good thing for modern conveniences even during our pioneer times.
The kids were quite disappointed to learn that we were done playing pioneers that night. It was a good, humbling experience and but I'm glad that I live in these days when we do have power. :)
1 comment:
Kids make everything better don't they! How are you doing? Are they going to take you earlier being that the baby is measuring bigger? What's the plan?
Post a Comment