Monday, April 7, 2008

I enjoyed conference! I especially liked the solemn assembly that was held and that we were able to sustain President Monson from wherever we were as a Prophet of the Lord. That was just way cool. I loved all of the talks- but the one that sticks out the most was Elder Ballard's talk. He spoke about mothers. It was really good. Here are some of the great quotes from his talk.

"There is no role in life more essential or more eternal than motherhood."

"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each has different challenges, different skills, and different abilities, and certainly different children."

"Many are able to be full-time moms, at least during the most formative years of their children's lives and many others would like to be...What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."

"It is crucial to focus on the children for the short time we have them with us. And to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes."

Author Anna Quindlan:"But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them, sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

"Pick up your toys when you are finished playing with them. Make your bed. Help with the dishes. Do other chores without being asked. Say thank you more often when you finish a nice meal, and when a story has been given to you at bedtime, or when clean clothes are put in your drawers. Most of all, you can put your arms around your mother often and tell her you love her."

1 comment:

Charlotte Varble said...

I also loved Elder Ballard's talk. Thanks for sharing those great quotes! I am learning what motherhood is all about- it's the best job in the world for sure!!