Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The story continues.....

As I have been writing the story of my life this past week- I am so grateful for the power of prayer, the priesthood and for the opportunity I have to still be here today.

After the kids left with Jared on Wednesday to go home and rest and for Jared to shower- I decided to take a nap. My mom was there at the hospital with me and I was exhausted. I leaned the lovely hospital bed back- and rested. When I woke up I was having a tough time catching my breath. I didn’t know if it was because I had laid my bed back to far or what- but I couldn’t breathe again. I called the nurse and they gave me lots of oxygen. Later that day, my doctor came in and said that they were sending me for tests. Something was not right. I started to bawl when they told me I would be going in for x-rays. I kept thinking- is this really happening to me? Holy Smokes.

Jared gave me a blessing of comfort right before they wheeled me down to the xray department. After getting into a little tube like thing and having a chest x-ray, I felt that suffocated feeling again. It was scary. Jared held my hand, and helped me get from the wheelchair to the awful table and then back to the wheelchair. Then the nurse told me that I needed to redo the test because it wasn’t a good x-ray… So back I went on that awful table. Do I need to remind these people that I had only had my stomach ripped open not only 24 hours prior to this? I was in so much pain.

The test came back that I had a blood clot in the top part of my left lung. I was instantly put on blood thinners, breathing treatments and a different antibiotic. ** Jared and I both made sure it wasn’t ansef.**

Thursday was a good day- I was feeling better and the doctors, nurses, Jared and my mom all commented that the color was coming back in my face. I was determined to get up and walk around to get my body ready to go home from the hospital== so I made a few trips around the maternity floor- just to get my legs, body and all working again. Friday was another good day and they said that on Saturday morning they wanted to give me 2 more tests to check on the blood clot in my lung.

So, my first test was down at the Nuclear X-Ray testing center. I again went into a tube type thing but this time- they gave me a dye that went into my IV. Jared was able to see the radiation from that IV go to my lungs and see if my lungs were clear. Everything came back clean and clear.

Then I went for ultrasounds in my legs to check for blood clots. These also came back clean and clear. As far as we can tell, the blood clot is gone. I know it’s through all the prayers and the priesthood power.

I now get to take it super easy- trying to get adjusted to a newborn, 2 other kids, a husband who is working full=time out of the house- and getting my tummy muscles back. Life is good and Im grateful to be a part of it.

7 comments:

kanddgregory said...

Shannon,
Bless your heart! I kept checking your blog to see how things were and hadn't heard anything. Thank heavens you are okay! that was quite a scare! Your baby looks darling and the kids look so grown up around the baby! take care the next little while and let your body heal.

Beth said...

You have been through quite an ordeal! You are so brave. It's unbelievable what our bodies go through to bring these precious little spirits to the earth. Don't forget to rest. Say yes to anyone who offers to help. Your family is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. Especially when I think back to MJM days, and special you and Jared both are, and that now you are this amazing little family. Congratulations you two. I love you!

Aurora's Babble-On said...

When I phoned on Friday and talked to Jared, he reassured me that you are in good hands! Great news, since we need you to make your famous potato casserole surprise in the summer. Hehehehe! ~Loves

Andrea said...

Gracie is beautiful--congratulations! I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've gone through. What a scary experience. I've been checking your blog all week to hear the news(you did say you'd be taking your computer to the hospital! [grin]) I'm so glad that Gracie is doing well (did I say yet that she's beautiful?!) and that you're finally on your way to recovery. Please take care, rest lots, and we'll be calling soon to see what we can do to help.

Megan said...

You poor thing! You are so brave. Let me know what you need so I can help ya!

Rachel Robins said...

Hi Shannon, I am so glad that you are okay! I've been checking the blog too and felt so bad to see that you had struggled with clots, that is no small thing! You rest easy and enjoy sweet little Gracie and take all the help you can! Love ya, Rachel
P.S. Wish I was closer, I would totally bring over a casserole and jello...even entertain you with some girl's camp flashbacks!

Lorena said...

OMG!!! I have been telling your story over and over again today. I am so glad that you are alright! What a scare!

I was wondering if something went wrong when I didn't hear right away.

Now Gracie will have stories to tell for the rest of her life.